Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup with Pastry Caps
Surprise Christmas dinner guests with puff pastry "packages" that blanket bowls of Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup. Our Test Kitchen also stirred in a bit of sherry to heighten the soup's wonderful flavor.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1-2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter in batches until tender. Return all to the pan; add garlic and onions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream, sherry and seasonings; heat through.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry into a 12-in. square. Using a 10-oz. ramekin for a pattern, cut out four pastry circles 1 in. larger than the ramekin's diameter from each square.
- Fill twelve 10-ounce ramekins with soup, about 1 cup in each. In a small bowl, combine egg and water. Brush edges of pastry circles with egg mixture; seal circles to edges of ramekins. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
To Make Ahead: A day before, make the soup up to the point of adding the cream, sherry and seasonings; cover and refrigerate. Reheat when ready to use; continue with the recipe as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 574 calories, 38g fat (17g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cream of Garlic-Mushroom Soup with Pastry Caps in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010