Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup with Pastry Caps
Surprise Christmas dinner guests with puff pastry "packages" that blanket bowls of Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup. Our Test Kitchen also stirred in a bit of sherry to heighten the soup's wonderful flavor.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1-2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter in batches until tender. Return all to the pan; add garlic and onions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream, sherry and seasonings; heat through.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry into a 12-in. square. Using a 10-oz. ramekin for a pattern, cut out four pastry circles 1 in. larger than the ramekin's diameter from each square.
- Fill twelve 10-ounce ramekins with soup, about 1 cup in each. In a small bowl, combine egg and water. Brush edges of pastry circles with egg mixture; seal circles to edges of ramekins. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
To Make Ahead: A day before, make the soup up to the point of adding the cream, sherry and seasonings; cover and refrigerate. Reheat when ready to use; continue with the recipe as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 574 calories, 38g fat (17g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Cream of Garlic-Mushroom Soup with Pastry Caps in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.