Creamy Fruit Bowl
THIS fruit salad is always on the menu for special occasions, since it can be served as a salad or dessert. It's a traditional dish with our family, and it must be passed on to a new bride. When one of us brings it to a gathering, we take a copy of the recipe along to share. Someone always requests it! -Gretchen Baudhuin, Palm Coast, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) DOLE pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt
- 4 medium navel oranges, sectioned, divided
- 3 cups seedless grapes, divided
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh mint, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set pineapple aside. Pour juice into a double boiler; add the egg yolks, sugar, vinegar, butter and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Cool.
- Stir in the pineapple, three oranges, 2-1/2 cups grapes and marshmallows. Cover and chill for at least 12 hours.
- Fold in whipped cream just before serving. Top with remaining oranges and grapes. Garnish with mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 201 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 13, 2013
Sorry, mistyping : Is the vinegar......
Jan 13, 2013
I the vinegar necessary? Couldn't I use lemon juice instead?
Feb 21, 2010
Lovely to see on the table and tasty to eat. I use canned mandarin oranges when I don't have fresh oranges.