Flan has always been a hit with my family and friends so I downsized it to be just enough for two. It is so delicious and creamy!—Amanda Pettit, Logan, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, cook 3 tablespoons sugar until melted, about 5 minutes. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes or until syrup is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Quickly pour into two ungreased 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins, tilting to coat bottom of dish. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk egg substitute and remaining sugar. Stir half of the warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Add vanilla. Slowly pour into prepared dishes.
- Place dishes in a baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water to a depth of 3/4 in. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Run a knife around edge and invert each dish onto a small rimmed serving dish. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Flan in Reminisce Extra May 2009