When I want a brunch recipe that has the crowd appeal of scrambled eggs but is a little more special, I turn to this dish. The Parmesan sauce is simple but rich and delicious.—Deb Williams, Peoria, Arizona
Featured In: 40+ Satisfying Low-Carb Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, finely chopped and divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 16 eggs
- In a large broiler-safe skillet, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until browned. Add half of the green onions; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Preheat broiler. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and the remaining salt and pepper. In the same skillet, heat remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir just until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- Spoon half of the sauce over the eggs; top with mushrooms. Add remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil 4-5 in. from heat 4-6 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining green onion. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Eggs & Mushrooms Au Gratin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014