There's a sweet story behind Marie Hattrup's versatile dressing, which can be used on all different kinds of salads (including potato). "After baking an angel food cake, my mother would whip up this dressing using the leftover egg yolks."
Recommended: 60 Spring Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground mustard
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cooked fresh asparagus spears
- Sliced tomato
- Escarole or endive
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and is thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk for 1 minute. Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, whisk in the cream until blended. Arrange asparagus and tomato on lettuce-lined plates; spoon dressing over top. Yield: about 1 cup.
Originally published as Creamy Dressing Over Asparagus in Country Woman May/June 2000, p41