Creamy Dilled Carrots Recipe
- 4 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1. In a saucepan, combine carrots, water, butter, salt, sugar and pepper. Cover and simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain liquid into a small saucepan; set the carrots aside and keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; slowly add to liquid, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the carrots; stir in dill. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before servings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 64 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Dilled Carrots
"I'm cooking for myself, so I prepared this recipe, using just 1 lb. peeled baby carrots, 1-1/2 cups of water, 1 Tbsp. margarine, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 packet Equal sweetener, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup 2% milk used instead of the half and half cream! (I'm trying to streamline those calories!) I did use 2 tsp. dill weed! I did combine the salt, pepper, sweetener, carrots, water and margarine together, covered pan and allowed carrots to cook 20 minutes or until FORK-TENDER! I drained the cooking liquid off and set carrots aside; covered them to stay warm. After combining the flour and milk-stirring until smooth, I added it gradually to cooking liquid, stirring constantly. I then simmered the sauce at least 10 minutes, covered, on low heat, stirring occasionally. I admit that I also had added the dill weed to the sauce when preparing sauce for carrots! I sampled these carrots and they were really quite tasty! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home!delowenstein"
"I made these last year for Christmas and everyone loved them, they will appear again this year by popular demand."