Creamy Curried Carrot Soup
This pretty pureed soup is perfect for a luncheon. It has wonderful flavor sparked by curry, herbs and, of course, the colorful carrots.—Betsy Hedeman, Timonium, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Stir in the broth, carrots, curry, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup to a blender; add half of the cream cheese.
- Cover and process until smooth; repeat with remaining soup and cream cheese. Return all to the pan. Heat through. Stir in the parsley, salt and cayenne if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 158 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1432mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 2, 2008
I'd add a potato into the vegetable mix so it thickens up a bit. Careful not to overfill your blender. My husband burned his arm when the soup spat out of the blender while he was making this soup.