Creamy Curried Carrot Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Stir in the broth, carrots, curry, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup to a blender; add half of the cream cheese.
- Cover and process until smooth; repeat with remaining soup and cream cheese. Return all to the pan. Heat through. Stir in the parsley, salt and cayenne if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 158 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1432mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2008
I'd add a potato into the vegetable mix so it thickens up a bit. Careful not to overfill your blender. My husband burned his arm when the soup spat out of the blender while he was making this soup.