Light and fluffy, this marvelous mousse is the perfect ending to a filling holiday meal. Guests always have room for its delicate combination of tang and sweetness.
Recommended: 25 Must-Make Recipes Inspired by Julia Child
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) lime gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel, optional
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- Additional grated lime peel, optional
- Dip the rims of six individual dessert dishes in lime juice, then in sugar; set aside. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the whipped topping, milk, lime peel if desired and orange extract. Fold into gelatin. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 1 hours or until firm. Just before serving, garnish with cherries and lime peel if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Citrus Mousse in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p43