Creamy Chicken ‘n’ Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in batches in 2 tablespoons butter. Transfer to two ungreased 8-in. square baking dishes. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 170°.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic powder in remaining butter until tender. Add the soup, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain chicken; top with soup mixture. Serve one casserole immediately with rice or noodles. Cover and freeze the remaining casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Serve with rice or noodles.
Oct 26, 2017
Great with orzo pasta. Easy to make and nice mix of flavors.
Feb 5, 2014
We truly love chicken, and this shines through time after time. I use potatoes over noodles.
Oct 17, 2012
This was good, and made a lot. I think it needs longer to cook, and could benefit from more seasoning. Next time I'll add salt and a few herbs.
May 12, 2011
My husband loves this so I double it and freeze 3. I use either chicken thighs or pork chops.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.