Creamy Cheesy Grits
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until grits become thick, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the cheeses, white pepper, cayenne and nutmeg if desired. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 180 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Sep 26, 2016
Definitely didn't add the nutmeg and it was delicious. Had it as a side for dinner and twice for breakfast. Really makes a lot
Aug 14, 2015
Milk adds a nice creaminess. I not a fan of the parmesan and nutmeg. I'll stick with my garlic cheese grits recipe.
Jul 27, 2011
I recommend making this without the nutmeg.
Jul 19, 2011
I didn't need to cook the grits the whole 25 minutes, just until they got thick. I also only used the cheddar cheese. This was my first time making grits, and we were very pleased with the results.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.