We have a large family, so I always plan a big holiday menu. This time-saving first course is enjoyed by everyone— including the cook!
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup each chopped carrots, celery and green onions
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan, bring the carrots, celery, green onions and water to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until crisp-tender; drain. Cool slightly. Place in a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add flour; stir until blended. Gradually add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Add cheese sauce, cayenne and pureed vegetables. Stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Cheese Soup in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p25