Creamy Celery and Peas
Garden-variety peas really shine in this simple side dish shared by Evelyn Kennell of Roanoke, Illinois. Dressed up with sauteed celery and a creamy white sauce, the peas are a perfect way to round out a meaty main course.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Dash white pepper
- In a nonstick skillet, saute celery in butter for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in peas; cook 3 minutes longer, stirring often. Add the sour cream, milk, parsley and pepper; reduce heat. Cook and stir until heated through and blended.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 127 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Creamed Celery and Peas in Light & Tasty August/September 2003