Creamy Carrot Bake
Wondering what vegetable to serve for your Christmas feast? Here's a holiday-special way of preparing sliced fresh carrots. It’s a great side for just about any main course.—Sandy O'Neal, Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set aside.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour and mustard until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheeses, horseradish and seasonings; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in carrots.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, toss bread crumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bread crumbs are lightly browned.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Originally published as Scalloped Carrots in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.