"My husband and I find this great soup a tasty way to add nutritious broccoli to our diet. It's so thick and filling that all you need to complete the meal is a salad and bread," writes Diane Ventimiglia of Atlanta, Michigan.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- Place potatoes and carrot in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add the salt, thyme, nutmeg and pepper.
- Drain potato mixture; cool slightly. In a blender, combine the potato mixture, broccoli and remaining milk; cover and process until smooth. Add to the thickened milk mixture. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Broccoli Soup in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 39
Reviews forCreamy Broccoli Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2014
"This was very good. I will make it again."
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2010
"This soup is excellent! I will be making it again and again."