- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil; add broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender; stir into broth. Remove from heat; cool 10 to 15 minutes. Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return all to the saucepan; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Slowly add cream, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in broccoli mixture. Return to the heat; cook over medium until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Broccoli Soup with Nutmeg
"YUM! Followed the recipe exactly and this soup is very good!"
"Nice and easy, will make again. I used evaporated milk instead of half and half cream to make it lighter. I think I'm going to use less of it next time, though, it smothers the nice flavor of broccoli. I also used more nutmeg."
"This was very good but I would cut back on the flour because I don't like it real thick."