Creamy Broccoli Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute broccoli and onion in butter until tender. Stir in soup, milk, water, basil and pepper; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 29, 2019
I used my IP for this recipe and it worked beautifully. I did not have any cream of potato soup (never buy it); however, I had some leftover scalloped potatoes and used that instead. I did use my immersible blender to puree everything before adding the milk. (only used 1/2 cup). Soup was thick and creamy just like we like it. Love the added taste of basil in this recipe.
Jan 3, 2015
I make this really often now with frozen broccoli, substituting evaporated skim milk for all the liquid and adding canned corn. I also sprinkle in some crushed dried red pepper for a little extra zip!
Oct 29, 2014
I used a bag of frozen broccoli and just thawed it in the microwave for a few minutes while sauteing the onions. This soup tasted great!
Mar 6, 2013
Very good for a quick meal to serve along with grilled sandwiches.
Jan 10, 2012
So easy and delicious! I do substitute chicken broth for the water.
Nov 6, 2011
This was a great lunch, served with warm rolls. I will be making this again--it was just delicious.
Sep 25, 2010
I ran the cooked broccoli,onion, milk, and water thru the blender before adding the potaot soup. This recipe was nice for just three of us.