Creamy Basil Dressing
WHEN I WAS growing up, our supper was not complete without a green salad and my dad's homemade dressing. He never had a written recipe, but the basic ingredients didn't vary. Making the salad was a ritual, and we would watch the process with great anticipation. -Shirley Awood Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons minced green onion or chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Salad greens and tomato wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, onion, basil and salt if desired; mix well. Serve over greens and tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 76 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Creamy Basil Dressing in Reminisce May/June 2000