Creamy Banana Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium firm bananas, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (10 inches), baked
- Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in softened gelatin until dissolved. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover the surface of custard with plastic wrap and chill until no longer warm.
- Slice 3 bananas; fold into custard along with whipped cream. Spoon into pie shell. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4-5 hours.
- Just before serving, place lemon juice in a small bowl and slice the remaining banana into it. Melt jelly in a saucepan over low heat. Drain banana; pat dry and arrange over filling. Brush banana with the jelly. Sprinkle with grated lemon peel. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 478 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2015
Loved this recipe and so did everyone else!! Amount of filling made one large deep dish or two small regular pies. Needed less than the amount called for in apple jelly and lemon juice- used just enough to coat. The lemon peel added such a fresh flavor and it looks so pretty. It's going to be my go-to recipe from now on-it was delicious! Have made it twice and both times it was gone in a flash with rave reviews. It was obvious by it's taste that it was made from scratch!THANK YOU FOR THIS WONDERFUL RECIPE!
Jul 6, 2012
The flavor of this pie is amazing. But I found small chunks of gelatin, globbed throughout the pie, which was a huge disappointment. Can this be made without the gelatin?
Nov 8, 2010
BEST banana cream pie I have ever had. I made it for my dad's birthday, his favorite kind of pie. everyone loved it.
May 29, 2010
This pie is awesome. It takes some time to make the filling from scratch but the results are worth it. I typically have all the ingredients on hand. Make sure to allow enough time for the filling to cool and set before you take it anywhere or try to cut it. I have also successfully doubled the filling recipe for use in a 9x13" pan to feed more people.