Creamy Apple Crumb Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups diced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and allspice. Fold in the apples. Combine sour cream and vanilla; stir into apple mixture. Spoon into pastry shell.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 299 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.
Reviews for Creamy Apple Crumb Pie
"Great recipe! I wanted to try a new recipe different from original. This was a greatChange."
"I have made this pie several times & am about to make it again for our Thanksgiving dinner. We prefer pies without a top crust so we can savour the filling & this pie is excellent for that! I usually use macintosh apples when I can get them fresh & tart, because they break down perfectly when cooked. Cortland hold their shape too well for my liking & take much longer to cook, as do granny smith"
"My pie actually came out nice and moist. I don't like my pies to be really googy."