Creamed Spinach Omelet
Spinach adds a plateful of beautiful color and flavor that sparks interest and appetites alike.—Jo Ann Van Kesteren, Onancock, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups loosely packed sliced fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, saute spinach in 1/2 tablespoon butter for 1 minute, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, stir flour, 2-3 tablespoons milk and salt until smooth. Add to spinach; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and remaining milk. In another skillet over medium heat, cook egg mixture in remaining butter. As the eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When eggs are set, spread spinach mixture over half of the omelet. Fold omelet in half and transfer to a warm platter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 316 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 462mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Spinach Omelet in Country Woman July/August 1996