Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Nothing beats this comforting side dish to go with Mom's meat loaf. The peas and potatoes combined with a creamy white sauce make a hearty dish that also adds appealing color to the meal. -Linda Nilsen, Anoka, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cook peas according to package directions, adding sugar.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan; add the flour, salt and pepper to form a paste. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add dill.
- Drain potatoes and peas; transfer to a serving bowl. Pour sauce over and stir to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 131 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Peas and Potatoes in Taste of Home December/January 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.