Creamed Onions and Carrots
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 cups water
- 2 pounds pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in carrots and onions.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 151 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 30, 2013
This is an excellent side dish, very nice change.
Nov 4, 2012
I have been making creamed onions for years, but this was the first time I had ever even had creamed onions and carrots together and it was delicious. It was so good with an After Thanksgiving eggs Benedict I made. yummy
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.