My mother always made this dish with sour cream, but I substituted buttermilk and added more herbs. Thyme and tarragon give these saucy potatoes a fresh taste I really enjoy. -Lillian Julow, Lawrenceville, GA
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cream cheese and buttermilk; cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat; add the onions, thyme, tarragon and pepper.
- Drain potatoes and place in a serving bowl; add cream sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed New Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p29
Reviews forCreamed New Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2017
"ok at best. Two of my daughters spit them out. The rest of the family said they were just ok."