Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups cubed peeled kohlrabies (about 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- 1 egg yolk, llightly beaten
- Minced chives and additional paprika
- Place kohlrabies in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Stir in the salt, pepper and paprika. Gradually stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Drain kohlrabies and place in a serving bowl; add sauce and stir to coat. Sprinkle with chives and additional paprika.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 125 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jan 23, 2017
Made this recipe just as written and it was fabulous! It satisfied my carb craving and it didn't even seem like I was eating kohlrabi. One of my new favorite recipes!
Sep 10, 2014
The sauce in this recipe is really good. I'm not the biggest fan of kohlrabi, but we received two from our CSA share and this was a delicious way to use them. My two year old loved it.
Sep 2, 2011
Lorraine - this is my first experience with kohlrabi. Our local nursery was giving away kohlrabi plants at the end of the season. WOW, it's now my new favorite vegetable. Great, tasty recipe. Thanks for sharing!! Tamara in Montrose, Colorado
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.