Creamed Ham on Cornbread
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- CREAMED HAM:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg and milk until blended. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, mustard and salt until smooth. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and heat through. Cut cornbread into squares; top with creamed ham.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 371 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 1049mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 23, 2015
All I can say is... YUCK.
Sep 30, 2011
The gravy tasted fine, I even added cooked broccoli, but mixing with cornbread is where I believe there were too many conflicting tastes. I would try it with rice or pasta instead.
Jan 12, 2011
While the creamed ham was delicious, I just didn't like it on the cornbread. Maybe biscuits would be better, but then it would be really high calorie.
Dec 26, 2010
My guys definitely want this again! I didn't have a cornbread mix around, so I just made a normal pan from scratch.
Mar 30, 2008
I've made this store-bought cubed ham and it was good but the best way is to use left-over glazed ham. It takes a little more work that way, cutting up the ham, but it's well worth it and now every time we have ham my family all says "Save some ham for Creamed Ham on Corn Bread!"