- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup cornflakes, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4 to 6 cups French-style green beans, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar or Swiss cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in cornflakes and set aside. Melt remaining butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, onion and sugar; heat and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat; add the sour cream and stir until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes (do not boil). Fold in the beans.
- Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and cornflake mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCreamed Green Beans
"I used this recipe because I was looking for a way to disguise fresh green beans that had some spots on them (still good, just ugly). I had to add more salt than the recipe called for, but it was perfect for what I needed. I love using cornflake crumbs instead of the traditional bread crumbs. I'm doing it more and more."
"I tripled the amount of corn flakes. I like a lot of crunch. The dish was good, but, still seemed to be lacking something. I gave it 3 stars because I think it still needs something for a bit of punch."
"I have been making this same recipe for 35 years. It came from the S.F. Chronicle. The title was Swiss Green Beans.Absolutely a family fav."