Creamed Fresh Spinach Recipe
This flavorful no-frills side dish is a great way to incorporate the nutritious leafy greens into a meal. My mom always included creamed spinach or carrots on our holiday menu. -Rosemarie Forcum White Stone, Virginia
- 6 packages (6 ounces each) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1. Wash and trim spinach, leaving the water that clings to the leaves. Place in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes. Drain and chop; set aside.
- 2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the onion, salt and pepper. Fold in spinach; heat through. Yield: 8 servings
1 cup: 191 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Creamed Fresh Spinach
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC