Creamed Chicken in Pastry Shells
This recipe requires a little effort, but it's definitely worth the time. It's special enough to serve to guests, but if I saved it just for company, my family would not be happy.—Dona Glover, Rockwall, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes6 servings (2 shells each)
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen pastry shells
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions; set aside. In a skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in soup until blended. Add the chicken, mushrooms, pimientos and sauteed vegetables; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon into pastry shells.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 749 calories, 45g fat (17g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 1152mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Chicken in Pastry Shells in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.