This recipe requires a little effort, but it's definitely worth the time. It's special enough to serve to guests, but if I saved it just for company, my family would not be happy.—Dona Glover, Rockwall, Texas
Recommended: Classy Appetizers for Your Oscars Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen pastry shells
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions; set aside. In a skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in soup until blended. Add the chicken, mushrooms, pimientos and sauteed vegetables; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon into pastry shells. Yield: 6 servings (2 shells each).
Originally published as Creamed Chicken in Pastry Shells in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p188