Creamed Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded (3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine broth, celery, cabbage, onion and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to form a smooth paste. Combine cram and milk; gradually add to flour mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened; continue cooking 1 minute longer. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and thyme and heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 cup: 220 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Creamed Cabbage Soup
"Great soup! I'll definitely make this again!"
"My family loves creamed cabbage as a side dish, so when I discovered this recipe I had to try it. It went over big with them and they love it on a cold winter day or any other time!"
"will try sausage next time."
"Wonderful, it a hit. I modified it by eliminating the ham. I first browned 1 lb. of sausage, then added the vegetables and broth and contined as the recipe stated."