- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded (3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine broth, celery, cabbage, onion and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to form a smooth paste. Combine cram and milk; gradually add to flour mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened; continue cooking 1 minute longer. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and thyme and heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forCreamed Cabbage Soup
"Great soup! I'll definitely make this again!"
"My family loves creamed cabbage as a side dish, so when I discovered this recipe I had to try it. It went over big with them and they love it on a cold winter day or any other time!"
"will try sausage next time."
"Wonderful, it a hit. I modified it by eliminating the ham. I first browned 1 lb. of sausage, then added the vegetables and broth and contined as the recipe stated."