Here's a delicious use of the ham and cabbage combination. A thick and hearty soup combined with subtle flavors, it is a favorite meal on our table during the winter months.
Recommended: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine broth and vegetables. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Gradually add milk and cream; cook and stir until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham, salt, pepper and thyme; heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Creamed Cabbage Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p63
Reviews forCreamed Cabbage and Ham Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review