This soothing side dish is so much nicer than plain beans and potatoes. Mother relied on hearty downhome recipes such as this one. Now I also cook it for my family. —Lisa Andis, Morristown, Indiana
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen beans or peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cook beans according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Drain potatoes and beans; place in a serving bowl. Add sauce and stir to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Beans and Potatoes in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p35
Reviews forCreamed Beans and Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2017
"Another excellent side dish!!"
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2010
"This is one of our favorite dishes to serve with the Meatball in Sweet Clove Sauce thatyou can find in Taste of Home. We like it using peas the best, but using the green beans is good to. Enjoy this recipe. We do."