Creamed Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, asparagus and tarragon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the asparagus mixture, a third at a time; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the pureed asparagus and lemon juice and heat through. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 224 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 10, 2015
This is a reliably good and straightforward asparagus soup recipe. Tastes like a restaurant made it! Naturally, not for the lactose-intolerant. Instead of using a separate cup of water and a teaspoon of chicken bouillon, I just use a cup or more of chicken stock or broth--saves a bit of time. This one is NOT cheesy and I am grateful--not every soup needs to have a bunch of cheese thrown into it in order to be pleasing. Give this version a try!
Apr 6, 2013
I made this for my mother's birthday - her favorite comfort food is creamed asparagus over toast - and she LOVED it! I followed the recipe to the letter but would probably try to halve the recipe next time because it was A LOT of soup! Also, I used shredded parmesan on top and it was just as good! (Oh, heads up... it is green and does look a bit like baby food! Ha!)