- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add broth, asparagus and tarragon; simmer until asparagus is tender, about 8-10 minutes. In a blender or food processor, puree the asparagus, a third at a time; set aside. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden. Gradually add cream. Stir in the pureed asparagus and lemon juice; heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forCreamed Asparagus Soup
"This is a reliably good and straightforward asparagus soup recipe. Tastes like a restaurant made it! Naturally, not for the lactose-intolerant. Instead of using a separate cup of water and a teaspoon of chicken bouillon, I just use a cup or more of chicken stock or broth--saves a bit of time. This one is NOT cheesy and I am grateful--not every soup needs to have a bunch of cheese thrown into it in order to be pleasing. Give this version a try!"
"I made this for my mother's birthday - her favorite comfort food is creamed asparagus over toast - and she LOVED it! I followed the recipe to the letter but would probably try to halve the recipe next time because it was A LOT of soup! Also, I used shredded parmesan on top and it was just as good! (Oh, heads up... it is green and does look a bit like baby food! Ha!)"