- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
- For a condensed cream soup substitute: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Use as a substitute for one 10-3/4-oz.-can condensed cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup.
- For 1-1/2 cups soup: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/2 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews forCream Soup Mix
"This is excellent! Makes an excellent soup and does not need any salt at all. I made a happy mistake and added to much onion powder. I will moderate it some next time - but what a delicious mistake. The only problem is the onion powder over powers anything else I try to add so I will follow the recipe better next time - but great cream of onion ;). Great consistency and really just delicious."
"Donnalee2- I don't know if this applies to your situation, but cornstarch, if heated for prolonged periods of time, loses it's thickening properties. Therefore, a recipe that is thickened with cornstarch will start out thick and then thin out again. Flour, on the other hand, does not loose it's thickening properties with prolonged heat."
"This has saved me so much money! I love this recipe! As a bonus, it's low fat/calorie!"
"i have made this since it was published in the magazine. since then we have not used any canned cream of anything soups. this is so easy to make--i do a double batch and keep it in a quart jar (wide mouth, to make it easier to scoop out.) i can also changem niot up with garlic powder, extra herbs and seasonings when i measure out the 1/4 cup to start the mix. karen"
"MY HUSBAND NEEDS VERY LOW SALT SO I TRIED THIS. IT SEEMS TO BE OK IF YOU ARE GOING TO EAT IT ALL AT THE SAME TIME BUT I FOUND THAT FOR LEFT OVERS IT THINNED OUT AND DIDN'T HAVE A VERY soup LIKE CONSISTENCY. THE TASTE IS GOOD. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY IT SHOULD DO THIS. DONALEE2"
"my husband needs a gluten free diet, so now I finally have a substitute for canned soup can't wait to use this in all my old receipes .Thank you."
"This is terrific! I have celiac disease and cannot tolerate wheat gluten. This opens up all my grandma's old recipes to me again! Super convenient with kids. THANKS!"