Cream Puffs in a Cloud
We entertain family and friends often, and this dessert is always a hit. Use whatever flavor ice cream you prefer.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 to 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 pint fudge ripple, chocolate or vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream in a can
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until smooth and shiny.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, dry and firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For glaze, in a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and boiling water; stir until smooth. Fill each puff with a small scoop of ice cream; replace tops. Drizzle with glaze. Place three or four puffs in each dessert dish; pipe whipped cream around puffs to resemble a cloud. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 173 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.