VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen strawberries, thawed and drained or 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cover a baking sheet with foil; grease foil. Trace a 12-in. heart onto foil and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls along the outside of the heart (mounds should be almost touching). Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Lift foil and transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each puff to allow steam to escape; cool.
- In a saucepan, cook milk and pudding mix according to package directions. Cool. Fold in whipped cream and vanilla.
- Place cream puffs on a serving plate; split puffs open; discard soft dough from inside. Fill cream puffs just before serving; top with strawberries and replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Cream Puff Heart in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p67