VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen strawberries, thawed or 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove form the heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a tine, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth. Cover a baking sheet with foil; grease foil. Trace a 12-in. heart onto foil. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls along the outside of the heart (mounds should be almost touching). Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Lift foil and transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each puff to allow steam to escape; cool.
- In a saucepan, cook pudding mix and milk according to package directions. Cool. Fold in cream and vanilla. place cream puffs on a serving plate; split puffs and remove soft dough from inside. Spoon filling into puffs; add strawberries. Replace tops; dust with confectioners' sugar. Chill until serving. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Cream Puff Heart in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p67