Cream Puff Ghosts
Don't get spooked by these spirited Halloween characters. The cream puff ghosts aren't difficult to make. I form basic cream puff batter into cute little phantoms. —Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
Makes9 cream puffs
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold orange juice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Miniature black jelly beans or chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets; spread into 4x3-in. ovals. Using a knife coated with cooking spray, make a wavy edge at the bottom of the ghost as shown in photo below left. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and brown sugar; cook and stir over low heat until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Stir in pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Cover and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until thickened. Fold in whipped cream.
- Split cream puffs in half; remove dough from inside. Set aside 1-2 tablespoons of filling for eyes. Spoon remaining filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Place two small dots of reserved filling on each ghost; top with jelly beans. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 378 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cream Puff Ghosts in Country Woman September/October 2003