Don't get spooked by these spirited Halloween characters. The cream puff ghosts aren't difficult to make. I form basic cream puff batter into cute little phantoms. —Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Featured In: Ghost Halloween Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold orange juice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Miniature black jelly beans or chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets; spread into 4x3-in. ovals. Using a knife coated with cooking spray, make a wavy edge at the bottom of the ghost as shown in photo below left. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and brown sugar; cook and stir over low heat until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Stir in pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Cover and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until thickened. Fold in whipped cream.
- Split cream puffs in half; remove dough from inside. Set aside 1-2 tablespoons of filling for eyes. Spoon remaining filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Place two small dots of reserved filling on each ghost; top with jelly beans. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 cream puffs.
Originally published as Cream Puff Ghosts in Country Woman September/October 2003, p24
Reviews forCream Puff Ghosts
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2010
"These did not turn out at all. The filling was not good at all!"