- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Stir in the rice, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. stir in milk; cook 3-5 minutes longer. Garnish with chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCream of Wild Rice Soup
"Wonderful recipe - hearty yet delicate! Amazing flavors and simple to make - just the right size for one person!"
"Very good and easy! I like the richness without adding any cheese...yum! Will make again and again!"
"Delicious! We had this on a cold, blustery day and it was perfect. I used Uncle Ben's herb long grain and wild rice because that's all i had, and I added mushrooms. My husband loved it. I will definitely make this again."
"Great recipe! I controlled the sodium by substituting my home-made chicken broth rather than using store bought. Plus I cut the recipe in half for just the two of us. It freezes well and tastes even better when re-warmed."
"This soup is my husbands favorite, it is in our monthly rotation. All i changed is i added red pepper flakes and my husband likes extra rice"
"This is a keeper!"
"Really good. The second time I added mushrooms, used half and half instead of evap. milk and adjusted the salt. Loved it."
"It must be very good since I had to look it up a second and third time to make it again!"
"Excellent. I add mushrooms. Minced garlic. chicken. Cilantro"