“Smooth and creamy, this mildly flavored soup makes a wonderful start to a meal. With its unique taste, it is not your run-of-the-mill soup.” — Denise Albers, Freeburg, Illinois
Recommended: Say “Oui!” to Our Favorite French-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until pureed. Strain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Gradually stir in pureed mixture. Add cream; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with parsley. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Cream of Walnut Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2010, p111
Reviews forCream of Walnut Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2010
"It was very good. I used fat free half and half."