- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, spinach, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forCream of Spinach Cheese Soup
"This was really tasty! I used what I had on hand, so instead of using fresh spinach, I just stirred in frozen spinach (thawed, drained, and squeezed dry) at the end until it was heated through. I also added in a chopped carrot (boiled in chicken stock) and about 2 TBSP chopped red bell pepper that I was trying to get rid of (sauteed in butter), for an extra veggie boost. It was delicious! The extra veggies and stock from boiling the carrot increased the volume enough for myself and my hungry husband to have two bigger portions."
"Made this and is was great. Next time will double and add some minced garlic."
"I absolutely loved this recipe. I was really impressed with the simplicity of it also. I added garlic powder and about 1/2 cup more chicken broth. If it had longer to cook I think minced onion and garlic would be a great addition. It is wonderful as is however!"
"I usually double this recipe to make sure that my husband and I both get a decent helping of it in our bowls."
"I've made this three times now, but I substitue the same amount of broccoli for the spinach. This is super-thick, but would taste just as good with half the cheese if you like a looser consistancy."