VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 pounds fresh mussels (about 5 dozen), scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Tap mussels; discard any that do not close. Set aside. In a stockpot, combine the onions, celery, water, wine or broth, clam juice, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels have opened. Remove mussels with a slotted spoon, discarding any unopened mussels; set aside opened mussels and keep warm.
- Cool cooking liquid slightly. In a blender, cover and process cooking liquid in batches until blended. Return all to pan. Add cream and reserved mussels; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Cream of Mussel Soup in Country Woman June/July 2008, p31