Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 9 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large kettle, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions, celery and green pepper; saute until tender. Add mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in broth and simmer for 20 minutes. In a saucepan, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Add to mushroom mixture; stir in seasonings. Yield: 16-18 servings (4-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 220 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Cream of Mushroom Soup
"Had a bunch of mushrooms sitting in the fridge begging to be used up so found this recipe and it is very good! I also had some broccoli needing cooked up so I cooked ii seperately and added it in at the end of the recipe. My one suggestion would be to saute the veggies first instead of the garlic and then add the garlic for a minute before adding in the mushrooms. I almost over did my garlic but also probably had the heat up a bit too much. I think tomorrow I will turn it into salmon broccoli corn chowder for lunch by adding canned salmon and some cooked frozen corn!"
"This recipe is wonderful. i've made it several times. Sometimes I use part half & half to make it a little creamier, but it isn't necessary."