Butternut squash makes a luscious soup for chilly days when you need warmth from the inside out. We add potatoes and a touch of chicken soup mix. —Tiffany Smith, Cincinnati, Ohio
Recommended: 25 Soups to Keep You Warm This Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 carton (2-1/2 ounces) chicken noodle soup mix
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the first five ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until squash and potatoes are tender.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in cream, salt and pepper; heat through. If desired, sprinkle servings with parsley. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Cream of Butternut Squash Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p47