Cream of Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute the leeks in butter. Add broth, asparagus, potatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Add milk; cook over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 178 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 23, 2017
This soup was easy to make and very tasty. I used fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth and did not need to add salt. I used the higher amount of white pepper suggested.
Mar 19, 2012
I used yukon potatoes and added 1/2 tsp. salt and fresh thyme. Salt was not needed. This was delicious! I was not sure it was going to have the flavor I was looking for, but it was better than I expected. I will be using this recipe from now on.
Mar 24, 2010
This soup was very tasty and I will be making it again. Thanks Lynn for sharing this recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.