- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- GANACHE FROSTING:
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions, using paper-lined muffin cups. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine water and salt until salt is dissolved. Cool. In a small bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in the salt mixture.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round pastry tip. Fill the bag with cream filling. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache reaches a dipping consistency.
- Dip cupcake tops in ganache; chill for 20 minutes or until set. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forCream-Filled Cupcakes
"Works great just like it is. Didn't adjust a thing, but only made 20. Just went a little overboard with the batter."
"I used butter instead of shortening it was amazing I had a lot left over so I used it for the frosting as well. I probably could have put more inside the cupcake but it was my first time so I was a little unsure. I also made a chocolate ganache for the top as well for some again amazing. Will definitely keep this recipe"
"Not all that impressed. I was hoping for a more marshmallow flavor in the filling. Ganache was runny"
"They are so good and so easy. My husband loves them. I used butter instead of shortening for the filling and they turned out great."
"I have made these many times."
"the best cupcakes in the world. i have never made the frosting on receipe. i use 1 stick butter 2 cups choc chips,warm it on stove till melted then let cool. holy yum. its the kids fav"
"Filling recipe is horrible. It tastes like pure shortening. I even added extra powdered sugar."
"The recipe states to fill through the bottom, but you just stab through the top. Someone asked for a tip with the ganache, here's what I did. I followed the recipe up until it said to "allow" it to cool. Well, I had no time to wait, so I filled a large bowl with ice-water, put the ganache in a Pyrex measuring cup, and then put the glass cup inside the ice filled bowl, and whisked away. It took about 5 minutes of whisking, but it got a wonderful spreading consistency, almost like a thick sour cream texture. I just took a spoon and plotched it on the cupcakes and spread it around! I think the extra whipping I did also made it more fluffy, which was great! Hubby and kids chowed on them and said "don't wait so long to make those again!""
"Sorry, I was looking at another filling when I asked this question."