- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- GANACHE FROSTING:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions, using paper-lined muffin cups. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine water and salt until salt is dissolved. Cool. In a small bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in the salt mixture.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round pastry tip. Fill the bag with cream filling. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache reaches a dipping consistency.
- Dip cupcake tops in ganache; chill for 20 minutes or until set. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forCream-Filled Cupcakes
"I first made this several years ago and have made them several times since. Loved the ganache icing."
"Mmmmmm, yum! Brought these to work today for our Valentine's Day luncheon, and already they are receiving rave reviews! I've made these twice now and they are definitely a keeper! I use butter flavored crisco instead of plain in the filling and it turns out great. I will be investing in a decent pastry bag and tips - it will make filling the cupcakes much easier than a zipper bag. I did fill them from the top instead of the bottom."
"Works great just like it is. Didn't adjust a thing, but only made 20. Just went a little overboard with the batter."
"I used butter instead of shortening it was amazing I had a lot left over so I used it for the frosting as well. I probably could have put more inside the cupcake but it was my first time so I was a little unsure. I also made a chocolate ganache for the top as well for some again amazing. Will definitely keep this recipe"
"Not all that impressed. I was hoping for a more marshmallow flavor in the filling. Ganache was runny"
"They are so good and so easy. My husband loves them. I used butter instead of shortening for the filling and they turned out great."
"I have made these many times."
"the best cupcakes in the world. i have never made the frosting on receipe. i use 1 stick butter 2 cups choc chips,warm it on stove till melted then let cool. holy yum. its the kids fav"
"Filling recipe is horrible. It tastes like pure shortening. I even added extra powdered sugar."