"These cookies remind me of 'mothball candy' I used to buy with dimes Grandma gave me," remembers field editor Deanna Richter of Elmore, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole hazelnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; press a hazelnut into each and reshape balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla until smooth; dip tops of cookies in glaze. Sprinkle with sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 84 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.